Take Me Home Country Rd ๐ŸŒฟ



And once again I've deservedly been brought back down to earth here in Rhodes town, by local conversation. Of course there is concern about Eco-tourism (or lack of) and there are people working towards solutions Ms Morrell!  I guess the problem once again all boils down to numbers, the sheer amount of people in Europe taking holidays is the issue.

So I ask you wouldn't you rather contribute to a places natural beauty and antiquity rather than this oblique manner of existence? Don't you want to be absorbed in travel, for the experience to move ones whole being, change focus, change brain waves, make you feel alive?

Ahem! One day I'll be truthful about times & dates (but for now I'm happy in my Yogic youth giving properties). Back to the late 60s & early 70s here in Crete, where my mumma lived and taught. She has amazing pictures of what I imagined I'd see here in Greece. And I did, to certain extent.... if I ignored the fat 'sun-red' punters lying around on sunbeds to my right and the litter in the otherwise pretty streets of new/old town Rhodes and the aggression exchanged over financial transactions. If I ignored the cheap/fast food take-aways that always distract from real cuisine.

If I ignore these aspects then I saw the pristine Mediterranean sea and pristine countryside. Smelt the fresh sea air and watched wild local children run and play in the water.

A place where my mother fell, madly, truly ...in love with a local boy. I want to reveal it, that little snippet of history in a world that was more free, easy, (well less polluted anyway;) to reveal it in an art form. The combi vans, Jesus boots, long hair and olive oil for sunblock!! For the sake of my own trajectory. Even though I've had raised eyebrows and spontaneous 'gafaws' at being a single girl travelling alone.

You'll have to keep reading I might write it down, I might reveal her story but for now the sweet dulcet tones of John Denver 'take me home, country road' will sooth, as vicariously I live through my parents generation's experience of world travel, a gone era...if only local governments would focus on THAT and invest in making Eco-tourism and sustainability the priority...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year 2020 ๐Ÿ—บ

What Does This Sunday Mean To You?